More than 30 years ago, E*TRADE pioneered the online brokerage industry by executing the first-ever electronic individual investor trade. While the landscape of our industry has changed dramatically, our culture of innovation and drive to make online trading accessible to everyone continues to drive us forward. We believe in challenging the status quo, fostering an environment of curiosity and learning, and, above all, putting our customers first.
E*TRADE is seeking an attorney to provide advice and counsel on a wide range of matters for E*TRADE’s newly-acquired custodial services platform (referred to herein as “TCA”). This platform (currently known as “TCA by E*TRADE” but soon to be rebranded “E*TRADE Advisor Services”) currently operates within one of E*TRADE’s federal savings bank subsidiaries (E*TRADE Savings Bank), and provides a variety of business-to-business services for Registered Investment Advisers (RIAs), as well as business-to-consumer services for RIAs’ advisory clients. A segment of the RIAs on the platform will also be enrolled in a nascent referral program to be administered by E*TRADE’s registered broker-dealer subsidiary, E*TRADE Securities LLC (ETS). This attorney would also support the referral program.
Location: Centennial, CO
Specific areas of responsibility include, among others:
• Work with cross-functional teams to review, draft, and negotiate a variety of agreements, including for custodial services, mutual fund distribution, and in connection with the referral program
• Work collaboratively with colleagues in the Legal, Risk, and Compliance Departments responsible for E*TRADE’s broker-dealer and bank entities to ensure that all necessary support, issue spotting, and advice and counsel are made available to both TCA and ETS management teams
• Partner and work directly with the Head of Sales, Head of Relationship Management and be an ongoing resource to their team members to support successful achievement of sales and retention goals within the risk and control framework set by senior management
• Provide advice and counsel on proposed new business initiatives in a variety of business-to-business and business-to-consumer contexts
• Provide advice and counsel to help the relevant businesses comply with applicable bank and brokerage regulatory and compliance requirements
• Efficiently manage a large volume of agreements with competing deadlines and priorities, from simple amendments to complex agreements
• Interface directly with various internal business units, including Technology, Information Security, Product, Operations, Sales and Service, and Finance
• Represent TCA and ETS in negotiations and escalations with legal and non-legal representatives
• Ensure contractual relationships and other interactions meet industry compliance and information security standards
• Review marketing, communications, and educational materials
• Undergraduate degree from a 4-year institution
• J.D. with superior academic credentials
• Member in good standing of a state bar
• 10-12 years of legal experience, including prior experience with a top-ranked law firm and/or in-house with a financial institution (preferably a broker-dealer or RIA) performing contract negotiation and drafting and advising on regulatory issues
• Knowledge of, and experience with, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and Investment Advisers Act of 1940 (and rules promulgated thereunder), as well as FINRA rules
• Highly developed written and oral communication skills, with special emphasis on excellent drafting, negotiation skills, and attention to detail
• Highly motivated self-starter
• Excellent organizational and time management skills, including ability to prioritize multiple assignments and meet deadlines
• Strong interpersonal skills to foster teamwork, influence decision-making, and maintain effective working relationships with internal colleagues and external clients
• Ability to identify issues and suggest enhancements to form agreements, policies, procedures, and processes
• Experience working directly with sales and relationship management teams from deal inception through direct negotiation with counterparties’ business and legal representatives to execution
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
We offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit https://www.etradecareers.com/why-work-at-etrade/employee-benefits/ to learn more about the opportunities.
E*TRADE Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer who encourages diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.